Tuesday 22 May 2012

It's what time already?!

Argh! What a few weeks - a combination of work trips, long days and illness I've finally found the time to think about writing and starting my training - and just in time. I found, to my slightly aghast surprise, that my proposed training scheme begins this week. I'm actually a little disappointed as I was hoping to have a couple of weeks of doing other things, like a couple of classes (more below), some swimming and cycling, without having to take into account fitting in a certain amount of required running. However, now it looks like I'm just going to have to fit it all in. My BF will be pleased when he finds out he's going to have to a) cook my dinner, b) do with less of my company and c) watch me begin to force-feed myself high-protein foods. What a lucky, lucky man.

The first week's schedule is thus:
Monday: 3.2 km easy
Tuesday: 30 mins tempo
Thursday: 30 mins easy
Saturday: 4km

However, since I have managed to start the week incorrectly, it'll be more like this:
Monday: 5km/34 min + circuits class
Wednesday: Fitness yoga
Thursday: 30 mins tempo
Saturday: 5km

A poor substitute possibly, but what can you do? Next week I will toe the line - that is my promise to 10-kilometre-Angharad. She have some choice words for May-Angharad if not....

Today I am happily aching from attending circuits last night. This is a great class for anyone who enjoys pummelling themselves into the ground, sweating beyond any level of decency, and staring at their class partner with a look that incorporates many emotions: tiredness, pain, resentment, fear of collapse and/or death. I go to this class because for some reason, I take the sign that I have very poor upper-body strength to mean that I should attend a class in which the instructor's predilection for push ups in a variety of guises (and who knew there were so many?*) verges on obsession. Also because, when my mate asks me if I want to join her, I can't say no because then I would be a wimp. A giant, lazy, wimp. I have been said wimp for a while, and haven't been for several months. MAN and I'm paying for it now. However, the last time I frequented this class for sustained amount of time, I really did notice the difference to my arms within a few sessions, so given the complete lack of upper-body training in the rest of my life, I guess I'm just going to have to write it in the Filofax (yes, a real Filofax) every Monday from here onwards. I'd cheer, but I'm afraid I haven't the energy.

Bye then. I'm off to lie down for a bit, in order that I might rest my arms sufficiently to make dinner...

*push ups, planks, side planks, burpees (THESE ARE THE WORST THINGS EVER INVENTED!), push-up-and-row, 5 push ups and sprint, sprint starts, tricep dips, squat thrusts....

No comments:

Post a Comment